- Category: Hardware
- Published on Thursday, 12 May 2016 07:53
- Written by 4Z5LV
- Hits: 265544
Afedri SDR-Net Features
● 100 kHz to 30.00MHz continuous frequency range
● Direct sampling
● DDC - Digital Down-Conversion
● 12- bit 80 MSPS A/D conversion
● Up to 1.85MHz recording and processing bandwidth
● Waterfall display functions, when used with appropriate software
● Recording and playback, when used with appropriate software
● Sensitivity - MDS -136 dBm at 500Hz bandwidth
● USB 2.0 (Full Speed) interface
● LAN interface for remote access
● Compatible with: Linrad, Winrad, HDSDR, Studio1, SDR Console
SDR-radio, CuteSDR, SdrDX, Quisk, PowerSDR_mrx
● Powered from USB or external power supply 7-10VDC for AFEDRI SDR-Net rev.3.0
● Dimensions 120mm deep x 78mm wide x 27mm high
● Low cost - $259
Youtube video: AFEDRI SDR-Net + SDR Console + DRM (thanks to Mauro)
Youtube video: AFEDRI SDR-Net + CW Skimmer + IC-746pro integration for QRP QSO. (thanks to Vasiliy K3IT)
AFEDRI SDR-Net is a direct sampling Software Defined Receiver (see picture below) it has ability to send it's received I/Q stream trough two different interfaces:
- Network (LAN)
The first versions of the AFEDRI SDR receivers supported only a USB interface
AFEDRI SDR-Net has the following specification:
0.1MHz-36MHz: 36MHz Low Pass Filter (LPF) assembled - standard configuration
Per user request the special SDR revision can be assembled that is able to work in aliased mode (40Mhz-80Mhz or 80Mhz-120Mhz) , in this revision the 30MHz LPF is not assembled and external Band Pass Filters (BPF) have to be added by user.
Noise Figure: ~11dB (for 1MHz-30Mhz range and maximum gain 35dB)*
*input VGA (Variable Gain Amplifier) has variable Gain from -10dB up to +35dB
MDS: -136 dBm at 500Hz bandwidth
Output data format: two 16-bit I/Q channels (audio stereo stream emulation)
Maximum Receiving Bandwidth:
BW = up to 1850kHz (for 2000k samples/s sample rate) - using Network connection (for AFEDRI SDR-Net Rev. 3.0 and up)
BW = up to 1225kHz (for 1333k samples/s sample rate) - using Network connection (for AFEDRI SDR-Net Rev. 2.0 up to 2.3)
BW = up to 460kHz (for 500k samples/s sample rate) - using Network connection (for AFEDRI SDR-Net Rev. 0.0 and 1.0)
BW = up to 230kHz (for 250k samples/s sample rate) - using USB connection
RF ADC sampling rate: 80.000MHz
Power Supply Voltage Requirements:
5V (supplied from the PC's USB bus or from external) or from external power supply able to provide 5VDC +/-0.2V).
7.0-10V DC to the DC power connector.
Power Supply Current Requirements:
- 370mA from USB
- 400mA form external 7.5V power supply (revisions 3.0)
AFEDRI SDR-Net rev2.1 in Box
AFEDRI SDR-Net (Rev. 2.0) - default configuration
The AFEDRI SDR-Net is designed to be connected to Personal Computer (PC) by two alternative interfaces:
1. Ethernet Network connection.
This can now provide up to 2000kHz sample rate for Rev.3.0
2. Full Speed USB
This interface is identical to the one in earlier AFEDRI SDR versions. It sends to PC two quadrature channels I/Q with sample rate up to 250k samples per second 16-bit each channel
You can download following audio files recorded in Winrad:
From PC point of view, the SDR-Net can be used alternatively as:
1. Network device using two IP protocols: TCP and UDP.
- TCP protocol is used to control the SDR parameters.
- UDP protocol is used to send received I/Q stream from SDR to PC
2. Or exactly like the earlier AFEDRI SDR - USB Composite Device, that contains two USB functions:
- Generic USB Audio device - to transfer baseband I/Q signal, as an audio stereo stream
- USB HID device - used to control AFEDRI SDR-Net
All the USB functionality of the AFEDRI SDR-Net is identical to the earlier AFEDRI SDR, the only difference being in USB Audio Device realisation - it this case it uses a non standard sample rates, for audio, that is result of an integer division of main clock frequency 80.0Mhz.
For more information about USB functionality of the device please read AFEDRI SDR description.
Listed below are the new feature that have been added with network interface.
When the AFEDRI SDR-Net is connected to a PC using network interface, it is compatible with the following PC SDR software: Linrad, Winrad, HDSDR, Studio1, SDR Console (SDR Radio), CuteSDR, SdrDX, Quisk, ghpsdr3/QtRadio, PowerSDR_mrx
In addition to this there is software plugin - SDR Network Control Box plugin , that can be used with Winrad, HDSDR, Studio1, this allows control of the AFEDRI SDR parameters (frequency, RF gain/attenuation etc...) and reception of the UDP I/Q data stream.
The SDR Network Control Box software can be used as stand alone application and/or as plug-in for Winrad/HDSDR software (under Windows). This enables the SDR's frequency to be displayed and changed directly from Winrad GUI (please check my Download page).
When working together with Linrad or SDR-Radio software - no additional software or plug-ins are required - you need only to configure this software as you would for using with it with an SDR-IP receiver.
SDR Ntetwork Control Box screen-shot.
The SDR Control software was written using Qt Cross-platform application framework from Nokia, so both Windows and Linux software versions can be compiled and have similar Graphical User Interface (GUI) under both operating systems .
- Next >>